CLICK IMAGE BELOW
CLICK IMAGE BELOW
Prospective Student Information
Do you need help with your reading, writing or English speaking skills? Adults come to the library’s literacy program with a variety of goals.
- Read to their children
- Help their children with homework
- Get a job
Adults can improve their literacy skills when they are given encouragement, guidance and appropriate materials. Trained volunteers help with free tutoring.
Adult Learner Qualifications:
- Must be at least 16 years old and not attending high school
- Live in Solano County.
- Read at or below the 8th grade level
- Able to meet twice a week for 1 ½ hours each time
- Commit to at least 6 months of tutoring
Change a Life Through Reading
Help an adult improve reading, writing and English speaking skills.
- No experience necessary
- Flexible hours
- We prepare you and supply all materials
- At least 18 years old
- Average reading and writing skills
- Willingness to make a 6 month commitment
- Interest in helping another adult. No teaching experience needed!
Training dates and locations subject to change depending on county and library guidelines.
To speak with someone in the Literacy Office, please call 707-784-1526 or 1-800-450-7885.
- Reading Activities
- Practice Stories
- News Articles
- News For You OnlineThe sign in box is just the words “sign in”. Type in the
password: 9F8BAB. It is case sensitive, you will want to type it exactly like it shows here.
- ABDO Digital Books View eBooks at any time. Sign in with
Reading and Writing Tools
- USA Learns
- Mango LanguagesFollow directions.
- English Learning Videos YouTube Channel Listing
- Learning Upgrade App: Contact Literacy Staff for class code
- Citizenship Test Practice
- USCIS YouTube Videos – Test Prep
- USCIS YouTube Videos – Interview Prep
- USCIS: Civics Test Study Tools App – Search in App Store or Google Play Store on your phone or tablet
GED and High School Diploma
- Upwardly Global – an organization that assists those with university degrees from countries outside the U.S. find work in their chosen fields.
- Workforce Atlas
- Work Skills
Digital Literacy (Technology Skills)
- Basic Technology Skills
- Learning Upgrade App – Digital Literacy Classes: Contact Literacy Staff for class code
- Tutor.com – Adult Learners: Live Homework Help
- BrainFuse HelpNow – Adult Learners: Expert Help and Live Tutoring
- Khan Academy – Multiple topics
- Driver’s Education Program
Additional Online Resources
The Family Literacy program is for learners who have a preschool aged child. This program is built upon the premise that the parent is a child’s first and foremost teacher.
Family Literacy seeks to break the cycle of illiteracy by enabling adults to support and enhance the emerging literacy needs of their children. Families receive free children’s books along with instruction on how to read to children.
- At least one adult in the family is receiving literacy instruction.
- At least one child in the family is under 5 years of age.
Office Hours: M-Th 10-6 p.m., F 10-5 p.m., Weekends-Closed
Tim Madigan, Literacy Program Manager
David Lewis, Sr. Program Assistant – Fairfield and Suisun Branches
Katie Cordova, Program Assistant – Dixon and Vacaville Branches
Shauntel Jacob, Program Assistant – Rio Vista and Vallejo Branches
Teresa Lavell, Program Assistant – Reach Out and Read Program and Family Literacy
Barbara McGee, Office Assistant
Bernadette Boss, Library Aide
Reach Out and Read recognizes pediatric checkups as a opportunity to encourage parents to read aloud to their children. Doctors and nurses talk to parents of infants and toddlers about the importance of reading aloud to their children. Medical providers also give free children’s books to families at each well-baby visit.
Learn more about the Reach Out and Read Program
Following is a list of the Reach Out and Read clinics.
- Center for Primary Care (Green Valley)
- Center for Primary Care (Fairfield)
- Center for Primary Care (Vacaville)
- Community Medical Centers, Inc. Vacaville
- Community Medical Centers, Inc. Dixon
- Health and Social Services Family Health Clinic (Fairfield)
- Health and Social Services Family Health Clinic (Vallejo)
- Health and Social Services Family Health Clinic (Vacaville)
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Clinic, Pediatrics, Fairfield
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Clinic, Vacaville
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Clinic, Family Medicine (Vacaville)
- La Clinica (Vallejo)
- La Clinica North (Vallejo)