Let’s Focus on Equity
Book to Action 2021 is a team of 110 participating library locations, 150+ participating library staff members, 36 unique Book to Action initiatives, and 35 California library jurisdictions! Book to Action 2021 initiatives tackle important issues in the community and encourage reading, community discussion, and action. The Big 3 themes that libraries will be focusing on in 2021 are equity, sustainability and health. Solano County Library will focus on equity.
Solano County Library Book to Action
In the past year, Americans have shown increased interested in confronting the history of racial injustice, mostly through reading and discussing books about racial inequalities in our country. Solano County Library will continue to recognize and encourage such discussions within our community by featuring Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson in their Book to Action 2021 series. Just Mercy tells the story of a young lawyer who dedicates his life to defending the impoverished and incarcerated, especially those who have been wrongly condemned. Just Mercy asks readers profound questions about race, justice, and humanity. Through a series of discussions and programs, we hope to inspire conversations that examine how these inequalities affect both individual lives and our community.
Ibram X. Kendi Special Event
Wednesday. April 21, 2021. 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
In collaboration with CSU Chico’s Book in Common program, OC Public Libraries, and additional community partners focused on reading and discussing How to Be An Antiracist, a virtual conversation is scheduled with author Ibram X. Kendi for Wednesday, April 21, 5:30pm – 6:30pm. Participating libraries and community members will be invited to join others across the state for this special event. Registration information coming soon.
Just Mercy Library Materials
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption Book
- Just Mercy: Adapted for Young Adults Book
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption Book on CD
- Just Mercy DVD
- Just Mercy Blu-ray
- Just Mercy eBook (OverDrive)
- Cuestión de justicia eBook en español (OverDrive)
- Just Mercy: Adapted for Young Adults eBook (OverDrive)
- Just Mercy (Movie Tie-In Edition) Audiobook (OverDrive)
- Five Keys Schools and Programs
- Legal Services of Northern California
- Solano Community College (including S.O.A.R – Students Overcoming Adversity and Recidivism)
- Rio Vista High School
- Club Stride
- Griffin Academy
- Bethel High School
- Buckingham Charter Magnet High School
- Armijo High, Rodriguez High, Fairfield High and Public Safety Academy
- Mount Calvary Baptist Church
- Solano County Alternate Public Defender Program
- Solano County Community Action for Race Equity
- Workforce Development Board of Solano County